WSET Level 2 Online Course Feb 2018
WSET Level 2 Course Online
This exciting and structured course is the Wine & Spirit Education Trust (WSET) Level 2 Award and is intended as vocational training in product knowledge for those employed in the drinks industry. The course is suitable for complete beginners, or those with some professional experience with wine, and gives a clear and concise understanding of the broad range of common wines and spirits. The qualification is suitable wherever a good level of product knowledge is required to underpin job skills and competencies.
The course is also appropriate for those not employed in the drinks industry but who have a serious interest in wine and wish to broaden their knowledge in a structured way. This qualification has full accreditation from the UK Government’s Qualifications & Curriculum Authority (NQCF) as a Level 2 Vocational Qualification.
The course is an absolute must for anyone considering pursuing a career in the wine industry. Achieving a good grade in this qualification provides the knowledge required for those wishing to progress on to the WSET Level 3 Award in Wines and Spirits (formerly known as the Advanced Certificate).
Please note it is NOT necessary to have completed Level 1 before entering for Level 2.
Not sure if this is the right level for you? Click here to view the Course Specification including sample exam questions.
Online Courses - who are they designed for?
Online courses are designed for those with a busy work schedule – you can fit the training in around your life and work commitments. With no classroom to attend and no set timings, the online course is perfect for those who cannot commit to a weekly face to face session.
The courses follow a weekly structure and are guided by a WSET Educator but there are no set times to log into the course which allows you the time to work ahead or catch up on the activities and forums. You are able to contact the online educator any time for the duration of the scheduled course, should you have any questions. You can also contact us at North London Wine School with any questions you may have and we will respond within 24 hours.
Online courses have the same pass rates as classroom classes!
The Online Classroom will open on 17th Feb 2018 and will remain open until 23rd Mar 2018. In this time, you work through each segment in your own time – contacting the WSET Educator for support or us here at North London Wine School.
Total study time will be around SIX hours per week and you will cover the following:
Week 1: Factors influencing Style, Quality and Price, Tasting Technique
- Study the factors influencing the style, quality and price of wine in the vineyard and winery.
- Discover how to decode and understand labels.
- Learn to taste and describe wines using the WSET Systematic Approach to Tasting.
Week 2: White Grape Varieties
- Learn about the characteristics and the styles of wines produced from the main white grape varieties and the regions producing them.
- Key white grape varieties: Chardonnay, Sauvignon Blanc, Riesling.
- Other White Grape Varieties: Albariño, Chenin Blanc, Gewurztraminer, Pinot Grigio/Gris, Semillon, Torrontés, Trebbiano, Verdicchio, Viognier
- Other White Wines: Muscadet, Soave, Gavi
Week 3: Black Grape Varieties
- Learn about the characteristics and the styles of wines produced from the main black grape varieties and the regions producing them.
- Key black grape varieties: Cabernet Sauvignon, Grenache, Merlot, Pinot Noir, Shiraz
- Other black grape varieties: Aglianico, Barbera, Carmenère, Gamay, Malbec, Montepulciano, Nebbiolo, Pinotage, Sangiovese, Tempranillo, Zinfandel/Primitivo
- Other red wines: Douro, Valpolicella
Week 4: Sparkling Wines, Sweet and Fortified Wines, Food and Wine Pairing
- Learn about the various methods for making Sparkling, Sweet and Fortified Wine, the resulting wine styles and the regions producing them.
- Discover the key considerations when pairing food and wine successfully.
Week 5: Spirits and Liqueurs, Revision
- Study the main styles of spirits
- Revision & Examination Preparation.
Once you have completed the course, you will need to come to North London Wine School on Saturday 31st March 2018 to sit your exam. We are conveniently located at The London Irish Centre, 50-52 Camden Square, London, NW1 9XB.
Examination: 50 multiple-choice questions to be answered in 1 hour. A mark of 55% required to pass
Certification: All students who pass will be issued with a certificate suitable for framing and a lapel pin.
The fee of £259 includes
- 5 weeks online guided study in the Online Classroom with structured online learning from a WSET Educator
- Student activities: weekly tasks, group tasting area, multiple choice feedback tests and videos
- Support from the online WSET Educator across the 5 weeks as well as additional support from North London Wine School
- Study Materials: Students will receive an Intermediate course study pack, consisting of the course book (a comprehensive guide to the wines of the world), a study guide (complete with maps, example questions, and forms for your own tasting notes) and laminated tasting card.
- All online materials available for one year (once the 5 week structured learning is complete, access moves to read only and you can no longer participate in the activities
- Examination Paper
Please note: Bookings for this course must be received no later than Fri 26th January 2018 in order to complete the registration process. In certain circumstances we may be able to accept a late application for the course, but you should contact us in the first instance to see if we are able to make provisions. Late bookings may incur a £25 fee.
Places remaining: 20
Course Date/Time: Sat 17th Feb 2018 at
Duration: 5 weeks