WSET Level 2 Course £259+
WSET Level 2
The WSET Level 2 Award Course is intended as vocational training in product knowledge for those employed in the drinks industry who have little previous knowledge of the broad range of alcoholic beverages available. The qualification is suitable wherever a good level of product knowledge is required to underpin job skills and competencies.
The course is also very suitable for those not employed in the drinks industry but who are enthusiastic about wine, and wish to broaden their knowledge in a structured way. This qualification provides the knowledge required for those wishing to progress to WSET Level 3.
Classroom Learning - £370
The classroom learning option is conducted in our school in Camden. It consists 16 hours of study conducted over 8 two-hour evening sessions, or 3 full days, plus one hour for the final exam.
Online Learning - £259
The online course covers the same syllabus as our classroom course but provides the flexibility of not having to attend regular classes at our school. You will still interact with your study group to help you get the most out of the course, as well as having access to an online tutor. At the end of the study period, you will need to come to our school for the examination.
Our upcoming WSET Level 2 courses are listed below. To be first to hear when new courses are added sign up to our newsletter.
- Wine Tasting: Taste and describe wines using the WSET Systematic Approach to Tasting
- Food and Wine Matching: A guide to the key considerations when matching food and wine successfully
- Wine Service and Storage: Learn the correct way to store and serve wine and recognise common faults found in wines
- Social Responsibility: A guide to sensible drinking
- Labelling: Learn how to decode and understand labels
- Factors influencing the Style of Wine: Study the factors influencing the style, quality and price of wine in the vineyard and winery
- Grape Varieties: Learn about the styles of wines produced by the key international and regionally important grape varieties
- Key White grape varieties: Chardonnay, Sauvignon Blanc, Riesling
Other white varieties: Chenin Blanc, Gewurztraminer, Muscadet, Pinot Gris/Grigio, Semillon, Torrontés, Trebbiano and Verdicchio
- Key Black grape varieties: Cabernet Sauvignon, Grenache, Merlot, Pinot Noir, Syrah/Shiraz
Other red varieties: Barbera, Carmenère, Gamay, Malbec, Montepulciano, Nebbiolo, Pinotage, Primitivo, Sangiovese, Tempranillo and Zinfandel
- Key Wine-Producing regions of the World: Learn about the main styles of wines from the key wine-producing regions. France, Germany, Italy, Spain, Portugal, USA, Argentina, Chile, Australia, New Zealand and South Africa
- Number of Wines Tasted: 40-45 wines will be tasted as part of the course
- Study Materials: Students will receive an Level 2 course study pack, consisting of: The course book (a comprehensive guide to the wines of the world - illustrated with detailed maps & label explanations), a study guide (complete with maps, example questions, and forms for your own tasting notes), a laminated tasting card.
- Duration of course: 16 hours (8 two-hour evening sessions or 3 full days ) plus 1 hour examination (classroom learning option)
- Recommended Private Study: 12 hours additional private study is recommended for this course. It is strongly recommended that the majority of the private study is done in preparation for the course.
- Modes of Study: Day release (one day a week for three weeks), evening (one evening a week for eight weeks), online
- Examination: 50 multiple-choice questions to be answered in 1 hour. A mark of 55% required to pass
- Certification: All students who pass will be issued with a certificate suitable for framing and a lapel pin
The full WSET Level 2 Course Specification is available for more details (PDF)
WHY STUDY WITH US?
Local Wine School (of which North London Wine School is a part) is the UK's largest network of WSET certified educators. Over 1,400 successful WSET candidates in 2015. Chris Powell, the founder of our network, Local Wine School, won the coveted Riedel WSET Educator of the Year 2015 award. The Network has a history of prodcing WSET prize winners too - to see a list and further details, click here.
WSET Level 2 Course March over 3 Saturdays Please note it is NOT necessary to have completed Level 1 before entering for Level 2. Saturday Courses - who are they designed for? We
Places remaining: 9
Date/Time: 9th Mar 2019 at 11am - 5pm
Venue: London Irish Centre, Camden
WSET Level 2 Course July 2019 over 3 Saturdays Please note it is NOT necessary to have completed Level 1 before entering for Level 2. Saturday Courses - who are they designed
Places remaining: 14
Date/Time: 6th Jul 2019 at 11am - 5pm
Venue: London Irish Centre, Camden